Advertise Here
  1. UW Science Teaching Complex
    Faculty of Science

From Kitchener-Waterloo | Member Since Dec 2009 | 5,693 Posts
    Groundbreaking of Science Teaching Complex
    UW Science | Link

Inventing the future in the heart of campus

Feridun Hamdullahpur, President and Vice-Chancellor and Terry McMahon, Dean of Science, University of Waterloo, invite you to celebrate the start of construction of Science’s newest building, the Science Teaching Complex.

Thursday, December 6, 2012 | 9:30 a.m.
    Groundbreaking site: Tent outside Biology 2 Foyer

RSVP by Monday, December 3, 2012
    Register online or by phone 519-888-4567, ext. 33605

Complimentary parking for off-campus guests is located in Lot M off Columbia Street. For directions please view our campus map. Refreshments to follow in Biology 2 foyer.
    Hey UrbanWaterloo, is this a new building or an extension on another one? From the rendering, I feel like this is sitting where the psychology building is (used to be?) I haven't been back to KW for a while though so my sense of Waterloo's campus may be way off.
  5. From West-South-West Kitchener | Member Since May 2010 | 1,590 Posts
    Looks like it's an addition to Bio 2, facing Needles Hall.
  6. From Kitchener | Member Since Oct 2010 | 1,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor
    my sense of Waterloo's campus may be way off.
    It doesn't help that they've put in a large green space where there currently is the access road to the Needles Hall parking (and south interior service road system). The picture is set so far back, that Needles Hall would be just outside the right hand frame, but they have creatively obscured the access road. In this picture, it looks no larger than a pedestrian pathway in front of the new building.
    Quote Originally Posted by markster
    It doesn't help that they've put in a large green space where there currently is the access road to the Needles Hall parking (and south interior service road system). The picture is set so far back, that Needles Hall would be just outside the right hand frame, but they have creatively obscured the access road. In this picture, it looks no larger than a pedestrian pathway in front of the new building.
    Haha ok that definitely explains my confusion. Thanks!
  8. From DOWNTOWN | Member Since Mar 2010 | 2,327 Posts
    I gather that Needles Hall (aka "Needless Hall" back in my day) is also slated for expansion. I imagine that will be toward Modern Languages, however. I am glad to see the university's continuing growth, but the Main Campus has become a bit overcrowed, imo.
    I think you mean Needless Hell. Any more info on its expansion? I would think the most logical direction of expansion would be toward this new building/B2 over the parking area.
    Interesting... According to the Master Plan, the construction of this building could be the first step toward demolishing the wing of the Physics building with the lecture hall.
    Needles Hall isn't slated for an expansion, considering they're mulling over a new student centre-like complex on the east side of campus that will lift some of the things out of Needles Hall, like Counselling Services.
    From Kitchener-Waterloo | Member Since Dec 2009 | 5,693 Posts
    New science complex builds on commitment to undergraduate studies
    December 6, 2012 | University of Waterloo | Link

The new home for undergraduate studies in the Faculty of Science at the University of Waterloo is one step closer to reality with today's groundbreaking of the new Science Teaching Complex.

The five-storey, 120 000-square-foot building will be located in the heart of campus. Demand for the Faculty’s successful undergraduate program has grown significantly in recent years. The complex will be dedicated to the undergraduates, providing resources they need to succeed while they study at Waterloo.

"It gives me great pleasure to host today's groundbreaking ceremony for this exciting addition to our campus," said Feridun Hamdullahpur, president & vice-chancellor of Waterloo. "This university is committed to help our students reach their full academic potential, our faculty to continue their tradition of research and teaching excellence, and the Faculty of Science to expand on its distinguished and critical role in training the great researchers of the future. I am particularly grateful to Mike and Ophelia Lazaridis for their vision for science and tremendous contributions to the University of Waterloo by making this building a reality."

Construction of the new building was made possible with the generous support of $10 million by Mike Lazaridis, co-founder and vice chair of the board at Research in Motion, and his wife Ophelia. Both attended today's ceremony.

"Ophelia and I are deeply committed to helping the University of Waterloo remain at the forefront of scientific discovery and technological innovation that we believe will transform the Waterloo region into the Quantum Valley," said Mr. Lazaridis. "We are pleased that this project will contribute to that goal.”

The Science Teaching Complex will include a suite of lecture rooms, including a 425-seat amphitheatre, the largest on campus, a 300-seat lecture hall, as well as three additional 150-seat teaching rooms. First-year teaching laboratories, student lounges, meeting rooms and a student café are also included in the building designed by ZAS Inc. Architects, NXL Architects, MCW Consultants, JMR Electric Ltd. and Read Jones Christoffersen Consulting Engineers.

“This ambitious, student-centred facility will bring our undergraduates together in the core of campus," said Terry McMahon, dean of science. "We consider this to be the new home for science students, a hub of activity where they can gather, collaborate and work towards their educational goals.”

Bondfield Construction Company is expected to take roughly two years to complete the building, with a target opening date of April 2015.

Groundbreaking - December 6, 2012

Lab Coat Gingerbread Cookies

13. This Member Says Thank You:

14. From Kitchener | Member Since Oct 2010 | 1,023 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWaterloo
    Another campus building, another atrium.
    From Kitchener, Ontario | Member Since Jan 2010 | 136 Posts
    What's wrong with atria?
  16. Hmm... introducing the largest lecture theatres on campus (HH Theatre notwithstanding). Goodbye low prof-student ratios, hello assembly line degrees.

At least the atria will preserve some of the sunlight that the offices would other wise lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterlooNative
    Hmm... introducing the largest lecture theatres on campus (HH Theatre notwithstanding). Goodbye low prof-student ratios, hello assembly line degrees.
    Yes, 425 is a huge class. Engineering classes top out at 156 (like the course I'm teaching next semester). At least upper-year classes don't tend to be that large.
    The largest lecture hall at Guelph is a 600-seater. I think it only gets used for first-year classes, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterlooNative
    Hmm... introducing the largest lecture theatres on campus (HH Theatre notwithstanding). Goodbye low prof-student ratios, hello assembly line degrees.

At least the atria will preserve some of the sunlight that the offices would other wise lose.
    Large theatres like this one are extremely useful not only for classes, but for guest lectures, events, performances, town hall meetings etc... A welcome addition overall.
  21. From DOWNTOWN | Member Since Mar 2010 | 2,327 Posts
    This is the largest of, what, about four construction projects happening on campus at the moment? I imagine the small building that Renison was putting up must just about be finished by now?
    Quote Originally Posted by panamaniac
    I imagine the small building that Renison was putting up must just about be finished by now?
    It opened in May.
of 2