Advertise Here
  1. Dear WonderfulWaterloo,

Earlier today, the website experienced a resource outage resulting in the website being temporarily inaccessible.

This was due to an artefact from the previous hosting service in which resource limits were transferred over.

I offer my sincerely apologise for the downtime, and will work to ensure that we don't see a repeat of today again.
    From Kitchener-Waterloo | Member Since Dec 2009 | 5,693 Posts
    We had another issue (data centre power failure) yesterday which resulted in 12hrs of downtime.

Shamil's a nice host. I like the fact he's a small business which means I have his cell number and he's on my Skype list. I like dealing with the same person who's familiar with our set-up. It's the opposite of a big company like Go Daddy where one day you'll call in and speak to Agent #5299 and the next day you'll be speaking to Agent #1346.

That said, if Shamil can't keep us live 99.9% of the time then we'll unfortunately need to switch providers again. We'll never have 100% uptime, just look to outages at Go Daddy, RIM, or Google; but our hosting services need to be much better than what we've experienced in the past 6 months.

I'm giving Shamil one final chance. We'll be switching to a more powerful machine over the Family Day long weekend (February 16-18th). That's a planned outage so don't be alarmed by intermittent service during those few days.

If we have significant downtime afterwards in 2013 then we will be switching hosts. If you have any hosting recommendations you can post them below or send me a PM. We should be fine on a package similar to VPS - Deluxe:

Name:  GO Daddy Linux Virtual Private Server — Deluxe Quote - January 24, 2013.PNG
Views: 185
Size:  17.6 KB
    For $45 (after tax), you can get a dedicated server located just outside Montreal that's 4ms latency from TORIX with better specs in every category than the VPS you're quoting. Details here:

http://www.ovh.com/ca/en/dedicated-servers/
    Last edited by bentonite; 01-24-2013 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typo
    From Kitchener-Waterloo | Member Since Dec 2009 | 5,693 Posts
    I want to apologize for the outage that just lasted 23 hours, it was due to a power failure at the data centre.

That said I gave an ultimatum in January that there'd be no more major outages this year and our host failed.

There's so many ideas I want to implement in 2013 (some of which you've started to see), but they won't be possible without reliable hosting.

I ordered a new server today from another host and will transfer the site this weekend.
    Just wanted to thank you for all the work you do on the site. It's a great site and I enjoy visiting numerous times each day. Good luck with the new host.
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWaterloo
    I want to apologize for the outage that just lasted 23 hours, it was due to a power failure at the data centre.

That said I gave an ultimatum in January that there'd be no more major outages this year and our host failed.

There's so many ideas I want to implement in 2013 (some of which you've started to see), but they won't be possible without reliable hosting.

I ordered a new server today from another host and will transfer the site this weekend.
    Can't really complain much for a site that actually kinda pays me to visit. Good luck on the new host and thanks for keeping us updated!
  8. Good luck on the switch over, and thanks for all your hard work!