Advertise Here
  1. Bit of an odd question, but...

    I'm picking up a new 125cc scooter in Pickering Village and making my way back to KW tomorrow. The 401 is obviously out (my top speed will be approx 100km/hr and I won't really want to go over 80 as it won't be broke in) so I am looking at a good route through the GTA. Right now I'm considering 2 options. 1st one would be hopping on the 7 and taking it all the way to Kitchener. Second would be taking Steeles through the GTA to Trafalgar Rd, and then making my way back to KW through various side/country roads (maybe hopping on the 7 @ Guelph). Both are pretty slow options (2.5-3 hrs on the various direction sites) but I'm leaning towards the Steeles option right now. What route would you choose...other options would be welcome too.

    cheers.
    garth
  2. #1
  3. #2
    The wife and I often drive the back roads to get to peterborough from waterloo. I'd offer up taking the 9 through new market over to orangeville then dodging down through Fergus and Elora.. It is a beautiful drive.
  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by .FLH.
    The wife and I often drive the back roads to get to peterborough from waterloo. I'd offer up taking the 9 through new market over to orangeville then dodging down through Fergus and Elora.. It is a beautiful drive.
    That's an interesting idea. A longer total distance but wouldn't actually take too much longer than those other routes as I'd be avoiding much of the traffic and lights through Toronto. Certainly going to be a nice day for a ride tomorow @ 20 degrees and sunny!
  5. #4
    Highway 9 is a nice drive even when it is busy, rolling hills, rivers lots of trees. It is one of my favourite drives to avoid Toronto. The added distance is irrelevant due to the fact that it is a stress free drive. I have posted below the route we take, I don't go all the way to Arthur, I hand a left at the water tower in Orangeville 3/18 and cut through Fergus, Elora and in the backend of waterloo. This way avoids Erin and Guelph and limits Traffic lights, there is also the bypass around Orangeville, but I enjoy their downtown also, gorgeous buildings. Keep us updated on your choice.

    http://www.google.ca/maps?saddr=Pick...ia=1,2,3,4&z=9
  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by .FLH.
    Highway 9 is a nice drive even when it is busy, rolling hills, rivers lots of trees. It is one of my favourite drives to avoid Toronto. The added distance is irrelevant due to the fact that it is a stress free drive. I have posted below the route we take, I don't go all the way to Arthur, I hand a left at the water tower in Orangeville 3/18 and cut through Fergus, Elora and in the backend of waterloo. This way avoids Erin and Guelph and limits Traffic lights, there is also the bypass around Orangeville, but I enjoy their downtown also, gorgeous buildings. Keep us updated on your choice.
    Ended up taking a modified version of your route. Nice drive, roads were in good condition, and the bike performed well. Temperature ended up being a little cool, but we can't have everything.
    cheers,
    garth
  7. #6
    Congratulations, you probably just depreciated that bike by 30%. Next time put it in the back of pick-up and use it for what it was designed for - intra-city travel - not inter-city. Ouch, i apologise. That was cruel. Hope you had a nice ride (honestly). Maybe stop for some sandwiches on the way and watch real vehicles whizz by? Sorry, i can't help myself. How ridiculous to take on that trip with a 125cc...reminds me of that movie where the two guys go to Aspen on a scooter - dumb and dumber? That was a good movie. Funny. Good for you, though. I'm sure it was a great trip.
    Last edited by BigCityBoy; 05-04-2012 at 01:01 AM.
  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityBoy
    Congratulations, you probably just depreciated that bike by 30%. Next time put it in the back of pick-up and use it for what it was designed for - intra-city travel - not inter-city. Ouch, i apologise. That was cruel. Hope you had a nice ride (honestly). Maybe stop for some sandwiches on the way and watch real vehicles whizz by? Sorry, i can't help myself. How ridiculous to take on that trip with a 125cc...reminds me of that movie where the two guys go to Aspen on a scooter - dumb and dumber? That was a good movie. Funny. Good for you, though. I'm sure it was a great trip.
    That seemed unnecessarily rude. If you don't add anything to the conversation, it's probably best not to say anything.
  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityBoy
    Congratulations, you probably just depreciated that bike by 30%. Next time put it in the back of pick-up and use it for what it was designed for - intra-city travel - not inter-city. Ouch, i apologise. That was cruel. Hope you had a nice ride (honestly). Maybe stop for some sandwiches on the way and watch real vehicles whizz by? Sorry, i can't help myself. How ridiculous to take on that trip with a 125cc...reminds me of that movie where the two guys go to Aspen on a scooter -dumb and dumber? That was a good movie. Funny. Good for you, though. I'm sure it was a great trip.
    Ah, another classic late night drunken rant from BCB. And if not drunken, then what's your excuse? Don't find you cruel in the least, just a complete saddo.

    I realize I'm feeding the troll, but the bike will be a primarily city vehicle. However, I do like the occasional longer run and have done so on all my scooters (125-250cc). As long as you take an appropriate route, it's quite enjoyable. It's a hobby, sort of like being a prick on forums is your hobby.

    Keep fighting the good fight BCB.
    Last edited by garthdanlor; 05-04-2012 at 07:11 AM.
  10. This Member Says Thank You:

  11. #9
    INstead of a northern route why not consider Lakeshore Rd.
    from Toronto, Mississauga, Oakville, Burlington, Plains Rd. up to # 5 across 5 to # 8 then up to Cambridge et al...it is scenic along the lake...
    There are variations from Burlington but that's your choice...