Advertise Here
  1. General Retail News
    A thread for general retail news in Waterloo Region

From Kitchener | Member Since Dec 2009 | 4,277 Posts
    Good looking retail spot! They've done a really good job making this look good. It's too bad its next to so many vacant store fronts.
    The nightmare of Eatons lofts...
  5. From Waterloo, ON | Member Since Jan 2010 | 2,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bauer123
    The nightmare of Eatons lofts...
    It's funny how Eaton's can hurt the city even after it's long gone.
    Does anyone know what the status of this is? Is the court case ongoing?
    From Kitchener-Waterloo | Member Since Dec 2009 | 5,693 Posts
    Your Neighbourhood Credit Union
    General Meeting report to the members Download
    And coming in Spring 2010...
    Waterloo Crossing Plaza (Erb and Ira Needles)
    From Kitchener | Member Since Jan 2010 | 1,579 Posts
    It's too bad about the whole Eaton's Lofts controversy/lawsuit whatever because the units from the outside look pretty nice, but not even the eatonslofts.com is up and running anymore.
    They are nice lofts. One is on MLS right now and another one was on awhile ago being sold though Power of Sale. If and when it does get finished it has street front retail and underground parking. The u/g parking is a huge plus.
    What was the plan? How would they do the UG parking? What's the lawsuit about? Sorry lots of questions.

Id love to see the store fronts changed too. The windows are so low, they could really open them up. Also, get rid of the brown stucco finish. Not attractive at all.
    The building always had u/g parking from what I know. My buddy told me he used to work there for a tech company and they had u/g parking.

The lawsuits from what I know is because the developer was messing around and not finishing things, and then the people moved in and then the City Of Kitchener said the building was unsafe and a bunch of things happened that led to a 50 million dollar lawsuit against the developer. From what I know the tenants don't have a Tarion warranty because the building is considered a renovation and not new construction. The builder doesn't want to finish the building because they think the City and the tenants are being unreasonable, hence, the lawsuit.

I'm not surprised this happened, but I am surprised the builder got so hard about it and didn't finish it. You have to watch yourself buying conversion property's due to the laws involved. The simple fact is that developers and builders are in this for a profit and at the end of the day it's business and shit happens.

There's issues at Bauer that are being taken care of only because if the builder doesn't they will get fined and will have to pay for it anyways though Tarion. The owners at Bauer have that insurance, that the people at Eatons don't. That's the difference between new construction and conversions.
    From Kitchener | Member Since Jan 2010 | 1,579 Posts
    Budds makes changes to keep up with the times
    March 17, 2010
    By Chuck Howitt, Record staff

KITCHENER — Downtown Kitchener’s only department store is undergoing a remake of sorts.

Budds is shutting down its children’s clothing department in the basement and replacing it with men’s and women’s higher-end designer clothing sold at discount prices.

The new section will sell only “top name-brand merchandise,” in-season at 40 to 80 per cent off the original retail price, co-owner Howie Budd said today.

To be called the Red Bag Centre, it will sell brands such as Haggar, Point Zero, Tan Jay, Alia, Bill Blass, McGregor, Stanfields and J. Braxx.

The new format, which debuts Monday, is also being introduced at Budds’ stores in Guelph and Simcoe.

Business has been stronger in men’s and women’s clothing and the company’s buyer of children’s wear is retiring, said Howie’s brother Stan Budd, also a co-owner of the three-store chain.

“We had to make a decision. We’re changing with the times,” he said.

They’ve been pondering the move for some time,” Stan said. “For a couple of seasons, we’ve tested the waters. The results have been very satisfactory.”

Budds will continue to sell its regular lines of boy’s, men’s and women’s clothing and accessories on the main floor and bed and bath merchandise on the second floor. Girl’s apparel is also being phased out.

Founded by Howie and Stan’s father Nat and three uncles, the 15,000-square-foot store has been a fixture at 165 King St. W. near Kitchener City Hall for 84 years. It still features pneumatic suction tubes that send cash transactions to the upstairs office.

The Guelph and Simcoe stores are more than 75 years old.

Howie said the makeover “is a vote of confidence in downtown Kitchener.” More people are walking the streets in the core and more young people are coming into the store, he said.

“We’ve added new lines to accommodate the new customers we see working and living downtown.”

With more than 40 years in the business, the two veteran haberdashers have no plans to retire anytime soon. They have a succession plan in place and have brought Howie’s son, Jeff, into the business.

“We still love our work. We still feel young and interested,” Howie said.

chowitt@therecord.com
    Good for them! Glad they're doing what they can to keep up with things. Hopefully they can market this well to draw people downtown as well as help themselves from a business perspective.
    I'm happy to see Budds improving their product mix. I haven't got clothes from them since a suit for my uncle's wedding and that's when I was 4 or 5. Every time I go they don't have slim fitting ("euro") shirts, so I'm hoping they'll carry a few now. Hopefully they'll do a store renovation as well, I keep trying to put "the bug" in their ears whenever I'm buying more general items: "Great sale on these pillows, it's too bad the store looks so dated though, if only you modernized it you might be able to attract a younger crowd...". It's the last of our local department stores, so it would be awesome if they could turn their decline around.
    It would definitely diversify their clientele. I think a facade improvement would help too, open it up, have it feel brighter. Facade improvement grant anyone?
    I've heard the Ikea to cambridge rumblings again.. Has anyone else?
  17. From Williamsburg | Member Since Feb 2010 | 98 Posts
    Fencing is up around the old Linen's and Things at Sunrise centre looks like something is going in, maybe futureshop?
    Green Kiwi replaced Booster Juice in that plaza as well.
    Laura / Laura Petites, New Store Opening! Sunrise Centre - http://jobview.monster.ca/Laura-Laur...-85924044.aspx
    Laura Canada is the destination for contemporary woman’s fashion. Established since 1930 we are a true Canadian success story, with a proud history. Laura Canada has grown from our first store in Montreal to over 145 locations across Canada and we are now coming to Kitchener, Ontario (Sunrise Shopping Centre). Our new Laura / Laura Petites store is scheduled to open in April 2010.
  19. From UpTown and downtown, for the last 20 years. | Member Since Mar 2010 | 42 Posts
    "We are now coming to Kitchener..."? Am I hallucinating the Laura stores which have been in Fairview Park Mall lo, these fifteen years or more?
    Budds (165 King Street West) - March 29, 2010
    I was going to take more photos but Howie Budd wants to check out WW first before I do.

21. From DOWNTOWN | Member Since Mar 2010 | 2,323 Posts
    Ahh Budd's - how I loved those pneumatic tubes that carried the cash when I was a kid (Goudie's had them too). I still make a point of dropping in and buying something when I am in town, just to offer some support to one of the few bits of the old downtown retail that is still hanging in there. Great deals on sheets and towels, by the way! I still shudder when I remember my mother taking me in to the boys department to look for "husky" sizes - mortifying!!
    Quote Originally Posted by panamaniac
    Great deals on sheets and towels, by the way!
    Thanks for the commentary! I also try to support Budds when possible with sheets/towels: they remind me of a locally-owned version of Winners with the "Compare At" price (not a bad thing at all). They just need to: bring in more fashionable euro-style clothing; and as previously mentioned a facade renovation (perhaps all glass like The Museum). Do you know what Budds used to look like (what's under the siding)?
    Last edited by UrbanWaterloo; 03-31-2010 at 09:51 AM.
of 39