The ACO held their Provincial Council Meeting in Kitchener on the weekend. The Saturday event was held at the Waterloo Regional Independent Living Centre @ 127 Victoria Street South, Kitchener from 9:30am - 3:30pm. The Provincial Council meets quarterly, twice a year in Toronto and twice in branch locations. A meeting in Kitchener was originally scheduled for the 2nd half of 2011, but the devastating tornados in Goderich diverted that meeting to the Lake Huron town instead.
The meeting was dominated by two main discussions. The first being to update the organization's compliance for charitable status with the Canada Revenue Agency.
The second was a Strategic Planning Session. The draft plan proposed the mission statement:
"Through advocacy and encouragement, to conserve and adaptively repurpose structures, districts and cultural landscapes of architectural and historic significance to current and future generations in Ontario"
A change that most seemed to be in agreement was to remove "and adaptively repurpose". The final version will be posted once it's confirmed.
Five key strategic action areas identified are:
- Supporting Existing Branches through the provision of efficient and effective services
- Encourage New Branch Formation in areas where there is demonstrable need
- Providing Provincial-level Advocacy where effective local branches do not exist
- Fostering Public Awareness through Education
- Providing Effective Member Communications
- Cambridge Branch AGM is this Wednesday March 28th 7pm @ UW School of Architecture, 7 Melville Street South, Cambridge.
- ACO NextGen (Young Professionals Wing) has planned a tour of Camp 30 in Bowmanville on April 28th 1pm. The cost is $12.
- NextGen is also planning a summer tour of Maple Leaf Gardens and a fall event in Guelph.
- North Waterloo AGM is May 17th 7:00pm @ Waterloo Regional Independent Living Centre, 127 Victoria Street South, Kitchener. Architect John MacDonald is the guest speaker.
- The Ontario Heritage Conference is May 31 - June 3 in Kingston. www.heritage2012.com
Let me know if you're interested in attending any of these events so we can arrange a carpool.