The zone change passed unanimously at last night's formal public meeting...
Zone Change to Remove Holding Symbol(s) For The Boardwalk Commercial Development
Author: Ryan Mounsey, BES,MUDS,MCIP,RPP | Report Number: DS2012-075
Meeting Type: Council Meeting | Council/Committee Date: Monday, January 28, 2013
A. Executive Summary
- That Waterloo City Council receive Development Services Report DS2012-075 and approve Zone Change Application Z-12-12, INCC Corporation to remove the Holding Symbols on lands known municipally as 105 Ira Needles Boulevard, The Boardwalk Development, in accordance with Section 6 of DS2012-075.
- That Waterloo City Council approve the implementing by-law attached in Appendix 1 in Report DS2012-075 to remove the Holding Symbols.
The Boardwalk commercial development is a 100,352 sq.m commercial project located on the west side of the City of Waterloo and Kitchener. This project was approved in July 2009 and was subject to specific phasing policies and zoning regulations that included the Removal of a two Holding Symbols on the Waterloo and Kitchener lands. As part of the removal of the Holding Symbols for the second and third phases of development, the Applicant has submitted a traffic study update report, a demonstration plan with implementing site plans showing the build out of the office lands, and demonstrate that the first office building is under construction. The Applicant has submitted similar traffic study information to the City of Kitchener which has been subsequently approved by Kitchener and The Region of Waterloo. The traffic review concludes that The Boardwalk development is operating within the transportation impact study assessment and generating less traffic than anticipated at this moment. Based on this information, staff support the approval of DS2012-075 for the following reasons:
If the removal of the Holding Symbols are approved (for Phase 2 and 3), The Developer can proceed with approximately 5,574 square metres (60,000 square feet) of new retail space and to construct the second office building over time. Transportation issues will continue to be evaluated through the Ira Needles Boulevard Road Widening project managed by the Region of Waterloo. The Region will initiate this process and this will address issues related to the Ira Needles Corridor Access Management (Thorndale and related streets) including local street vehicular access and pedestrian access. Staff will keep Council and the neighbourhood aware of this project and any future public meetings.
- The application conforms to the City of Waterloo Official Plan (OPA #74).
- The Applicant has submitted a Transportation Impact Review confirming that the proposed development operates within the approved Transportation Impact Study assumptions;
- The Owner has prepared a Development Feasiblity Plan;
- The Owner has entered into various site plan agreements that define the location and number of office parking spaces on the site;
- The Owner has started construction of the first office building;
- The Region of Waterloo will be initiating a public information meeting for the widening of Ira Needles Boulevard. The City of Waterloo will form part of the project team and advise Council on traffic impacts and access along Ira Needles Boulevard corridor.
D. Legal Considerations
The removal of the Holding Symbol requires an enabling By-law to be passed by Council pursuant to the Planning Act. The removal of a Holding Symbol requires reasonable notice to be provided and the decision or lack of decision can be appealed only by applicant to the Ontario Municipal Board.
E. Link to Strategic Plan (2011-2014)
The proposed request supports the City’s strategic plan by:
a) Supports Sustainability and Our Living Environment by facilitating the concept of growing up instead of outward. This application has facilitated employment intensification with shared parking.
b) Promotes Economic Vitality by helping to implement the City’s employment land strategy (adding new office space on industrial lands).
c) Promotes Vibrant Neighbourhoods by promoting the creation of a more complete community adding more jobs and services to surrounding neighbourhoods in the western part of the city.
F. Other ConsiderationsEconomic Vitality
The Removal of the Holding Symbol will facilitate the next phase of The Boardwalk development, adding more jobs and services to the community. As part of the Removal of the Holding Symbol, the developer is currently building a 7,470 square metre (80,400 square feet) office building designed as a state-of-the-art medical hub with a multidisciplinary team of physicians, specialists, nurses and technicians with supporting clinics. This medical centre will help facilitate the next stage of office construction on the site with the supporting retail and service uses subject to the Phase 3 phasing conditions.
G. Previous Reports on this Topic
The following Reports are associated with this request:
- Official Plan and Zone Change Amendment: DS 2009-34
- Street naming by-law: DS 2010-03