Advertise Here
  1. iPad2 vs PlayBook
    What do you think?

Websites: iPad2 | PlayBook
    Specs: iPad2 | Playbook

iPad2

PlayBook

I have a first gen iPad and really like it.
    I've played with the 2nd gen iPad, and have zero desire to upgrade.

I've played with the Playbook and really want one. It's a great size
    Benjamin Bach | Real Estate Sales Rep @ Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region Ltd. brokerage. Not intended to solicit clients or properties under contract.
    From Waterloo, ON | Member Since Apr 2010 | 853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benjaminbach
    I have a first gen iPad and really like it.
    I've played with the 2nd gen iPad, and have zero desire to upgrade.

I've played with the Playbook and really want one. It's a great size
    What one do you prefer better? (if you HAD to pick)
  5. From Kitchener | Member Since Oct 2010 | 1,023 Posts
    I recently saw a Playbook, and I was really surprised by the size. Much smaller than I had expected. (i.e. iPad size)
  6. RIM is killing me with the wait. At least all my neighbours that work at RIM will finally rest easy without my endless inquiries.
  7. From West-South-West Kitchener | Member Since May 2010 | 1,591 Posts
    As much of an iOS fan that I am, the Playbook's multimedia features may yet win me over. I'm eager to see one in action.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinL
    As much of an iOS fan that I am, the Playbook's multimedia features may yet win me over. I'm eager to see one in action.
    I've seen it play side by side HD video. Pretty powerful !
    Benjamin Bach | Real Estate Sales Rep @ Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region Ltd. brokerage. Not intended to solicit clients or properties under contract.
    I own an original iPad. If I didn't have a tablet and was in the market for one, I'd go with the iPad 2 simply because it already has tons of really really good apps. The built-in PlayBook apps look good, but it's not likely to ever have as good of third party apps, which is what's most important to me. Of my most commonly used 10 iPad apps, only 1 shipped with it (the web browser).

As far as multimedia, the PlayBook looks crazy powerful, but what good is that power if you can't get movies on there? The iPad has iTunes integration, which means you can rent or buy movies. I don't think the PlayBook will have anything comparable for a while (except perhaps Netflix, but their selection in Canada is lousy).
    Quote Originally Posted by WUD
    I own an original iPad. If I didn't have a tablet and was in the market for one, I'd go with the iPad 2 simply because it already has tons of really really good apps. The built-in PlayBook apps look good, but it's not likely to ever have as good of third party apps, which is what's most important to me. Of my most commonly used 10 iPad apps, only 1 shipped with it (the web browser).

As far as multimedia, the PlayBook looks crazy powerful, but what good is that power if you can't get movies on there? The iPad has iTunes integration, which means you can rent or buy movies. I don't think the PlayBook will have anything comparable for a while (except perhaps Netflix, but their selection in Canada is lousy).
    Actually, today RIM announced that Android apps will work on PlayBook so that bumps up the amount of available apps to essentially the same level as the iPad.

Also, for movies, I'd rather deal with getting movies onto a PlayBook than an iPad. Apple has incentive to keep you from getting your collection of movies onto your iPad because of its store; they want you to buy their content. With PlayBook, I'd imagine it would be the same as my BlackBerry where you just drag and drop your files on. In my case that's better because the majority of my video files are not purchased from iTunes (as I bet is also the case with a huge majority of people). Music, however, is another story!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdor
    Actually, today RIM announced that Android apps will work on PlayBook so that bumps up the amount of available apps to essentially the same level as the iPad.

Also, for movies, I'd rather deal with getting movies onto a PlayBook than an iPad. Apple has incentive to keep you from getting your collection of movies onto your iPad because of its store; they want you to buy their content. With PlayBook, I'd imagine it would be the same as my BlackBerry where you just drag and drop your files on. In my case that's better because the majority of my video files are not purchased from iTunes (as I bet is also the case with a huge majority of people). Music, however, is another story!
    There are loads of Android phone apps, but the PlayBook supports only Android PHONE apps, not apps specifically designed for a tablet. The difference in screen size makes a huge difference in user interface design. I don't use a single iPhone app on the iPad because they just aren't as good on the bigger screen. RIM has gone the "everything and the kitchen sink" approach with the PlayBook (it will run Android, Flash, HTML5 and Java apps), which generally results in subpar apps because no apps will be designed explicitly for the platform. I guess we'll have to wait and see how this one plays out.

Regarding movies, you can load any movie file you want onto an iPad and play it with third party apps. You don't have to get files from iTunes to play them; iTunes just makes obtaining legal movies simple, which is otherwise not very easy to do. So unless you pirate movies or rip your own DVDs, you're going to have a tough time finding media for the PlayBook at least right now... hopefully this will change soon.

To me, the biggest reason to get a PlayBook is its size. If you want something that will (sort of) fit in your pocket, you definitely should go with a PlayBook. I personally use my phone as a portable computer so a 10" tablet is best for me since I take it with me only when I'm carrying a bag.

At any rate, I am happy Apple has some serious competition and that it comes from Waterloo!
    Keep it local guys, go with the homegrown PlayBook. As a RIM employee that's all I can really say. I do have an iPad though, and it collects dust... I only use it for Kindle books and Angry Birds.
    I would definitely be more motivated to go Playbook if they were hiring new grad mechanical engineers. That said, Playbook's come a long way since I worked on the original prototype three years ago on a co-op.
    Eventually, you can't go on not caring. You realize you have a voice.
    From Waterloo, ON | Member Since Feb 2010 | 485 Posts
    Playbook for me, no question.

The whole bridging concept with my current Blackberry handheld is brilliant, and the overbuilt specs of the device will seemingly handle anything you could possibly throw at it. Slightly cheaper than the iPad too.